Monday, July 28, 2008

Thing 22

ebooks and audiobooks.

I enjoyed exploring the sites and finding out what else is out there. I hadn't seen IMSLP before and was interested in how music teachers might be able to use music scores online that are part of the public domain. I also thought the classics on WPL would be useful for language arts students. Often students want to read book assignments at home and come to the library to check them out. We never have enough copies. It would be great to have links on the library webpage directly to the books being assigned. That way kiddos could read them at home!

there is another website worth noting and passing along called Bookshare.org. It is only for the disabled (primarily visually impaired) but offers a great service. They provide files that can be loaded into special tools that allow the reader to enlarge the print, interact with the text and write in comments and do some other things I haven't explored. They get around copyright issues by only being available for a specific population. If you want to use the site you have to have a referral from a special educator or a psychologist. It's worth checking out if you have a student in your program that might be able to use it. www.bookshare.org

1 comment:

Ann said...

I think one of the things that we as librarians need to share with educators is that listening to books really does help students develop language proficiency. I was reading "the battle of the books" by Jonathan Swift for my bookclub last week. Swift is a tough one and I usually end up reading it out loud. This time though, I downloaded the audio file from Guttenberg and I was able to listen to it while reading it on my Kindle. Technology is grand when it works.

Ann