Saturday, July 5, 2008

Week 6, Thing 14

Tags, Technorati, etc.

I have to admit that this site overwhelmed me. I could look up ‘School Library Web 2.0 in posts, blogs and in the directory; each time getting different results. Although there was a ton of information there I am not sure how soon I will go back to this site. I realize that if I am trying to find something related to blogs, then this is the place to be but I felt like I had to sort through a ton of stuff just to find something interesting. Plus, I felt like I kept stumbling on blogs where I could barely understand what they were saying. Perhaps I’m just tired and need to give it another shot on another day. I did learn one thing pretty interesting. ALA was given $1,000,000 by Verizon for gaming and literacy. There is a feed started on that one so I’ll be interested in keeping up.

Tags are useful because they help locate stuff. The drawback to this free-for-all on tags is that you’ll miss stuff if you don’t have the right tag. There are way too many tags to list in one sport so you just have to keep trying if you are going to search that way. I suppose key word searching suffers the same problem. It’s a bit of a blur right now, so I’ll keep my eye on tags as we move through the other programs and see what I think.

Right now I have no interest in claiming by blog so that others can find it. I don't see that anyone outside of my class needs to see what I've written. (so far, anyway.)

2 comments:

Ann said...

On the tagging thing, consistency is the key (which makes me feel doomed from the start) I worked hard to name my files logically, but I just don't always think of the same tags for similar items. Guess it will take more practice.

I have to admit that the technorati search left me, how does my niece put it...under whelmed :-) I tend to have much better luck finding things through recommendation and in reviews in professional journals. I haven't played much with the directory in Technorati. I will have to go back and look at that.

Ann

robert said...

I did not want to claim my blog on Technorati either I will claim the next one I do.
robert