Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Week 1 - things 1, 2 and 4


More and more of us have gotten degrees on line and that has forced us to develop many of these habits. If you don’t, you don’t finish. I think one of the key habits I identify with is viewing problems as a challenge. One reason I am effective at tackling challenges is that I pull from the other 7 ½ habits to do it. I pull from my learning toolbox (mentors, peers, online tutorials, etc), I have the goal in mind to keep moving forward and I usually have confidence that I can solve the problem. That being said, I also recognize that my learning has ebbs and flows. I tackle problems best in the morning when it’s quiet, or after a hike.I realize that sometimes I just need to walk away from it and I have figured out ways to get refreshed when I am not making headway. It’s not always smooth – sometimes I bang my head a few too many times before taking that break I need.

I struggle with the self-confidence habit. “Don’t say it unless you want it to be true.” I don’t know how many times I’ve said I’m a horrible writer to anyone who will listen. I’ve had lots of practice at it over the past 6 years and I am getting better. It’s time to let that negative thought go.

I’m looking forward to this class for lots of reasons. I used to be pretty tech savvy and I blinked. That’s all it takes to feel left behind. I also just took a four day Internet Safety class and walked away with lots of new information. Much of it goes back to understanding the tools kids use and that’s why I want to know. One interesting thought I left with is about the use of cell phones. When the average adult sees a cell phone – they see a phone. When a child/young adult sees a cell phone they see a portable computer, a game console, a MP3 player and a camera. One small goal I have over the summer is to have my 11 year old help me to shift my view of my cell phone.

3 comments:

Raven About Web 2.0 Team said...

That is a great goal....I wish I had an 11 year old to hand to shift mine. My niece in Portland keeps whining that I don't return her text messages..... What do I have to say on text message that I can't call or email her???? She views it in a totally different light.

I hear what you are saying about blinking and losing touch with technology. That is one of the things I have had to work hard on this year. Not just exploring the tools but figuring out what is the most effective and useful application of the tools.

Ann

Aunt Books said...

This blog is so you! From color to avatar to your mountain hiking scene.

I like the way you wrote about blinking (and by the way, you are a good writer) and losing touch. Maybe that's a drawback for us educator types. We want to learn something so that we can apply it in our classrooms or libraries, but by the time we get our digital immigrant brains around something new, 5 other newer things have appeared and our students have raced past us.

Unknown said...

Does this blogging software have a "quote" feature? At any rate... I'll do it manually... you said, "I used to be pretty tech savvy and I blinked. That’s all it takes to feel left behind."

I have two comments about that statement: 1) it struck such a cord with me that you have proven that you are an extremely effective writer (so let that insecurity go!), and 2) I am terrified that I will be terribly out of touch when I return to work next year. Two years away is much more than a blink... eeks! Hopefully classes like this will help keep me on track.

PS - are you willing to share any tips your 11-year-old gives you about that cell phone? I can barely get mine to alternate between ring and vibrate! That is one tech area where I'm out of touch... I've never sent a single text message in my life!