Thursday, June 19, 2008

Week 5, Thing 11

I went directly to the "short list" and was delighted to see some familiar sites. We use Pandora for music all the time. It allows to pick artists and create a playlist. It will add similar artists to your playlist. You can create multiple lists and save them. It's free. ASD blocks it.

I went to Mango lanugages because we're planning a trip to Mexico and don't speak much Spanish. There is a free level and that provides a number of basic lessons. They were pretty user friendly, although not extremely engaging. If you purchase the program it is pricey. $65 month. Ouch. I think I'd check around for other programs to purchase that might be more fun.

I looked at several others that offered some promise. Revolution Health looked a lot like the Mayo Clinic website. It was engaging and had lots of information on current issues. It takes health in the news to deeper levels. This one is worth bookmarking at school.

I'll bookmark the list and check back to it as needs arise. It's pretty impressive.

I joined the Ning Library 2.0 and then subscribed to it for my RSS. I also played the travel game and did very poorly. I guess I need to get out more!

2 comments:

Raven About Web 2.0 Team said...

One of the worries I have is that there is so much out there that is great stuff, but I don't have the time to keep up. It is great to find lists like this that can help narrow the search to something that is doable, not overwhelming. I haven't checked out pandora (of course it is blocked at school:-)but it sounds cool.

Ann

Bear Reader said...

Thank you for sharing these three sites. I visited all three and found something useful from each. I particularly liked Pandora and have it playing right now while I work. I was disappointed to see Ann's comment where it said that Pandora will not play at school (is it possible to change that?). My daughters are studying Spanish in school and Mango will be most helpful. Revolution Health was marvelous -- I found lots to read about there! I agree with Ann, that there is just so much out there and having a list shared like this made it very manageable. I can't tell you how excited I am to have discovered Pandora from your blog!