Thursday, June 5, 2008

Thing 7

I've decided to skip the "week" part because I'm jumping around a bit.

Take a look at the Anchorage Daily News today (June 5) in the Nation and World section. There is a article on called "Risky teen behavior my be on decline" on page 1. Then on the second page there is an article about middle school students sending nude photos to all their friends AND the photos getting into the wrong hands. I'll bet there wasn't a question on the "risky behavior" questionaire about cell phone and interent activity.... So, I know how to take a picture with my cell phone but I really haven't tried to send it. That's on my list of things to do.

Here's a website to watch for Internet safety:

http://look-both-ways.com/

Linda Criddle is in the process of creating curriculum K-12 that will be very easy to use. Each section will include a short video and hands on activity. After each lesson an email will be sent to parents so that they may also view the materials being used to teach their children. I think that's slick.

2 comments:

Raven About Web 2.0 Team said...

No worries about skipping around. This is self paced and should meet your needs as you go through it.

I have to admit that middle school students sending nude photos is just an invitation to cyber bullying and even more dangerous situations. We have got to get ahead of this curve or we are going to lose the race before we even realize we are in it.

Ann

Hanging out in the 800's said...

Yes, I agree so strongly. So many parents hit the wall with a simple "MySpace and Facebook bad" attitude and they offer their children no tools to handle it.

These sites are realities and I think that social internet use and safety must really be handled like sex education (no I'm not debating the schools vs parent thing here.) If a parent wants to teach "social network abstinence" that's fine, but I can tell you most teens are not practicing it. Regardless, do you really want your 18 year old suddenly hit with all the options having had no training about what to do?

I agree the term "Internet Safety" is a turn off because it implies "don't, don't, don't." There needs to be a way to get the kids to buy in and exert positive peer pressure as well.

Here's a Readers Digest site about the damage young people can do to themselves, which has nothing to do with predators.

http://www.rd.com/dangers-of-social-networks/
article54448.html

These social networks are here to stay, we definitely need to get ahead of the curve.