Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Thing 8

http://www.bloglines.com/public/libraryhiker

That's the public portion of my Blogline account. I played around with both Blogline and Google Reader. I liked the set up on Google Reader better BUT every time I do something new on Google (add a feature) my computer runs slower and slower. Linda Criddle (the presenter on Internet Safety) said that Google collects a ton of information on you when you use Google services. I am thinking there might be a connection between my slow computer and the amount of information they are gathering. For now, I'll use Bloglines.

I have never heard of RSS. I've seen the little symbol but have never even wondered what it was for. It is beyond cool. It's useful and efficient. I will use it at school to keep up with library stuff, at home to keep up with disabilites stuff and who knows what else. I like the idea of including a bit of humor each day also. I was shocked how easy it is to subscribe to news sites.

I loved the little video (RSS in Plain English). I think it was simple and very easy to understand. I want to go back and watch the one on wikkis.

1 comment:

Raven About Web 2.0 Team said...

I too did not get why I should care about RSS until I did this class through CSLA. All of a sudden it hit me like a brick. The reason I wasn't keeping up with even the few blogs I was interested in was because it was too time consuming and inefficient. Now I use Reader to track and preview blogs and I am able to keep on top of my 5 (+ now my RAW2.0 blogs) and it is so easy.

Lee Lefever (who did the RSS Video) has a whole series you can find by searching with his name. He has a wonderful way of explaining things for the none tech and even the tech who doesn't get why you should care.

Read this article about Google when you have a chance. It is fascinating.
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/google